Thomas Cook Sponsors Kevin Dundon’s PBS Series
Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Food puts a modern spin on the celebrated dishes of Irish culture. “Chef of the people” andseries host Kevin Dundon, an award-winning Irish chef and restaurateur with quintessential Irish charm, quick wit and love for locally sourced indigenous produce, takes television viewers on a historic tour of Irish cuisine, demonstrating both the traditional elements of Irish country house cooking and the gourmet modernization of recipes over nine, 30-minute episodes beginning October 2013 (check local listings). In the New York metropolitan area, the series premieres Saturdays at 12 noon on WLIW21 and at 5 p.m. on NJTV beginning October 26 and Sundays at 2:30 p.m. beginning October 27 on THIRTEEN. An encore presentation airs Mondays at 7 p.m. beginning October 28 on WLIW21.
Kevin Dundon shares his inspiration for his first American public television series: “Ireland produces some of the best food in the world, and you know what? It’s really only the last few years that we’ve started to realize it. From our beautiful beef to the fantastic bounty that lies off our coast, we are surrounded by good food. I want to bring all these ingredients together and celebrate our amazing natural resources for a whole new generation.”
Dundon further notes, “I’ve always been inspired by great traditional recipes, handed down by my mother and grandmother … It’s now my turn to put a modern twist on it.”
Whether in a big city or a small town, looking for fine dining or great family comfort foods, Dundon is hoping to bring the art of fresh Irish cooking to the American palate: “The food that I cook is actually very accessible. My philosophy for food is simple – use the best ingredients, treat them with respect and you get the best flavor and results … it’s about taking great Irish ingredients and great Irish recipes and giving them that international flair.”
Today, Kevin Dundon is a veritable one-stop shop for Irish cooking.He’s the chef and proprietor of Ireland’s four-star Dunbrody Country House Hotel & Restaurant, Cookery School and Spa; one of Ireland’s top celebrity chefs; signature chef of Downtown Disney World’s Raglan Road Irish Gastropub; and a primetime cooking show regular. Renowned for his role in bringing Irish gourmet cuisine to the world, Dundon is an authority member of Fáilte Ireland, Ireland’s national tourism board. Dunbrody has become synonymous with contemporary Irish country house cooking, reflecting Dundon’s passion for freshness mixed with both simplicity and flair.
The series’ companion website,www.kevindundon.com, will host full recipes featured in the episodes, food features and all things Kevin Dundon.
Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Food is a production of RTE. The series is a presentation of WLIW21 in association with WNET and is distributed nationally by American Public Television. The series is made possible by Sysco, Tourism Ireland, Bantry Bay America and Thomas Cook.”
Episodes will air as follows(check local listings):
#101 – Modern Eats to Traditional Treats:Kevin starts with a lobster dish served with a mustard cream sauce and seared fillet of beef and blue cheese salad. Next, potato with a pie crust – a completely different way of serving Ireland’s national vegetable. Then a quick and simple Waldorf salad. Finally, Kevin shares his mom’s recipe for traditional apple pie.
#102 – Back in Time :Kevin goes back in time with this week’s menu as he cooks up a smoked chicken terrine. Fresh leeks from the garden are used with some delicious Gubbeen cheese for an indulgent potato gratin. Kevin prepares freshly caught trout wrapped in cured bacon with an almond butter sauce.Next it’s a tasty wild garlic pesto.Finally, Kevin celebrates the summer’s lovely bounty with a frozen yogurt gelato served with a berry compote.
#103 – Transformations:Kevin serves up a crock of Kilmore Quay mussels with bacon in white wine.Next it’s chicken thighs with Asian stuffing and a sticky teriyaki glazefollowed by Hasselback potatoes;cherry tomato and roasted garlic soup; and a Kinky Eton mess served with basil oil.
#104 – Fish, Hunt and Harvest:Kevin preparessmoked mackerel with a blackcurrant Jus, Skeaghanore duck breast with black cherries, pickled wild mushrooms, sautéed garlic potatoes and to finish, a spiced apple with Killowen yogurt.
#105 – Birds, Bass and Berries: Kevin prepares a woodpigeon salad;whole roasted sea bass in a sea salt crust;crushed baby potatoes; and a sea vegetable salad. Finally, a fresh and tasty elderflower and gooseberry fool.
#106 – Comfort Foods: Kevin’s take on Arthurstown fish chowder; slow roasted lemon-cured pork bell;pancetta and cheese mash; braised sweet & sour cabbage; and, to finish, an indulgent Irish cream bread and butter pudding.
#107 – Simple Delights: Kevin prepares a caramelized Dunmore East scallop tart served with a simple rocket salad; warm roasted garlic cottage pie; quick orzo pasta risotto; and sourdough bread.Finally, a heather-infused buttermilk pannacotta with honey.
#108 – Savory to Sweet: Kevin serves up a warming courgette and almond soup followed by a rack of Wexford lamb with an Asian twist served with a potato rosti.Plus, caramelized apple chutney; dandelion salad with bacon and poached eggs; and orange marmalade pudding.
#109 – Christmas Made Easy: Kevin shows his audience how to prepare the perfect Christmas dinner: smoked salmon gateau, twice-stuffed turkey, marmalade glazed ham, pork rack with apple compote, cranberry and chestnut sprouts and to finish, very cherry tiramisu.
More News About Chef Kevin Dundon
- Raglan Road Irish Pub Chef Kevin Dundon Stars In PBS Cooking Show
- Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Food Premieres on Public Television’s Create TV
Kevin Dundon: Celebrity Chef
- Chef & Proprietor of Ireland’s four star Dunbrody Country House Hotel, Restaurant, Cookery School and Spa
- Signature Chef and Partner of Downtown Disney World’s Raglan Road Irish Gastropub
- Primetime cooking show regular and media personality
- International brand endorsements
- Authority member of Fáilte Ireland, Ireland’s national tourism board
- 2013: Launch of Kevin’s signature Housewares Collection and product website: http://www.kevindundonhome.com.
- Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Cooking, an eight-part cooking series, Christmas Special and cookbook on RTE and PBS affiliate stations nationwide.
Kevin Dundon: Television & Publicity
- Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Food aired on 90 PBS Affiliate Stations.
- Season one will soon air on Create TV in a prime time nationwide time slot, available to 175 stations, 75% of US households!
- Season One will be rebroadcast throughout 2014 and 2015.
- Season two of Kevin Dundon’s Modern Irish Food will premiere Fall 2014 on PBS Affiliate Stations across American and in a national Create TV, prime time slot.
- Season two will be broadcast as many as eight times over two years!
- In March, MPI will launch Kevin’s first US based Live Appearance Tour. The tour will promote the series, its corresponding DVD box set and cookbook and his new 2014 Signature Housewares Collection.
- WNET / WLIW will support the tour by producing national promotional spots and Create TV’s local stations will set up ‘Ticket Giveaways’ and ‘Meet and Greets’.